In order to encourage further participation, The Canada Youth Public Speaking Contest has decided to include a Writing Contest as well. This new initiative aims to empower the next generation of thinkers and leaders by cultivating a passion for self expression through writing in youth while fostering education and creativity.
In year 2020, due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus pandemic, there will be a turning point in the way we perceive challenges and the way we can equip ourselves to use them to grow as responsible individuals. A small virus seems to have changed our entire outlook and the world around us. However, one thing is certain, and that is the impact of challenges, whether great or small, such as climate change, pandemics, or even choosing a career path can be turned into opportunities for growth, through making small changes in our attitudes and the way we influence others.
We firmly believe that it is important that students are provided a platform to express what they are passionate about. Therefore, this year’s competition aims to give that opportunity to youth from all over the world to present their thoughts on the following:
Small changes, Big Impact
Who Can Enter the Contest?
Junior Group: Ages 8-10, 800-1000 words
Middle Group: Ages 11-13, 1000-1200 words
Senior Group: Ages 14-18, 1200-1500 words
Registration: June 30th, 2020
Submission Deadline: August 1st, 2020
Awards release: August 30th, 2020
How to Enter?
- Limit one (1) one Submission per author. At any time during the Contest Period, entrants must use the same email address.
- Duplication or any attempts to exceed the maximum number of entries per author is a violation of these Contest Rules and may result in disqualification.
- Submissions must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Submissions must be written by one person. Co-authored submissions are not accepted.
- Copyright of the submissions entered will be assigned to the event organizer.
You may submit one of the following formats:
- Short Story
- Entries must be submitted online via email: email@example.com.
- Include your full name, age group and your submission title in the email subject. Missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Ensure that your submission follows the checklist below:
- Does my submission have a title?
- Does my story have rising action, a climax, and a conclusion?
- Are my sentences complete? Have I checked the spelling and punctuation and grammar in my story?
- Does my submission meet the words requirement?
Kailin Huang, Lord Kitchener Elementary School, Vancouver Canada
Ella Lung, Hope Lutheran Christian School, Vancouver Canada
Rithika Bimsilu, Sri Lankan School, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Yutian Zhang, Xiangyin Road Primary School, Shanghai P.R.China
William Lu, Shaughnessy ElementarySchool, Vancouver Canada
Ishika Linoj Kumar, Coyote Creek Elementary School, Surrey Canada
Gabrielle Shine, Lower Canada College, Montreal Canada
Alex Zhu, University Hill Secondary School, Vancouver Canada
Yenuli Binara, Sri Lankan School, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Fiorella Mezarine, Father Leo J. Austin CSS, Oshawa, Canada
Sophie Zhong, Lord Byng Secondary, Vancouver Canada
Cindy Zhang, Southridge School, Surrey Canada
Vivian Zhang, Pacific Ridge School, Carlsbad, USA
Kevin Jinde Zhang, St. George’s School，Vancouver Canada
See you in 2021!